Our Family forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Our Family forum

Peg and Ted's family forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lu and Peggy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
George Jones

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2006-07-15

Lu and Peggy Empty
PostSubject: Lu and Peggy   Lu and Peggy EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007 - 14:10

I met Peggy, on the 12th October 1962, for the first time at her house, with George, who introduced me to his parents, as his girl friend. It was Peggy’s Birthday. She made me feel at home and from that time on we had some very special times together, over the next 44 ¾ years.

I still repeat a little ditty Mum used to say when she picked up the pins after a day’s curtain sewing at her house. It was ‘Pin, pin bring me luck because I bent to pick you up!’

Mum would send me to the local shops to improve my spoken English. I’d have a list and on the way I would repeat the items, to learn them off by heart. So, there was one large, one small, 4 rolls and 4 Larcombe’s of your choice. And that was what I said at the Baker’s. Luckily she understood, packed it all up; Mum seemed pleased with what I brought back, all was o.k! The only thing was, at that time I had no idea that the shop was called Larcombe and that I should have chosen the 4 cakes, but no one else knew about it, so …

But when it was very important to understand or be understood, like in the hospital when I was pregnant or gave birth, then Mum was with me and she would bring me some fudge as well, because she knew I liked it.

And, when she would come to the house, she’d never arrive without a bunch of flowers, all those years. And if she would knit something for any of us; she’d do it, not looking at the knitting. What was always so astonishing to me, how much Mum could knit, the most intricate patterns and still keep chatting and watching t.v. sometimes as well at the same time.

I have always admired her, she was the only person I knew who never spoke negatively about another person behind their back.

She loved family gatherings and parties and would lend a hand and give support at the events, with her great humour, so that a good time was had by all.

14 years ago, 1992, at the age of 82, she still undertook, with the family, a long weekend coach tour to France to be with all who could come to the wedding of Halina to Laurent, in that heat wave of 42° C, you remember, and kept her energy up for the 2 days of the party and the long trip back to England.
Back to top Go down

Lu and Peggy
Page 1 of 1